Monday, July 16, 2012

Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers

I keep seeing pictures of this pop up on pinterest, and it looks so delicious. So today for supper I decided to make my own quick version of stuffed bell peppers.

The ingredients:


4 red bell peppers
1 poblano pepper
1/2 onion
1 pound hamburger meat--I used ground chuck
1 can corn kernels (not pictured)
1 can diced tomatoes (not pictured)
Monterrey jack cheese

Preheat your oven's broiler, then brown your hamburger meat on medium-high heat. I added a few shakes of garlic powder and some red pepper flakes--forgo the red pepper flakes if you don't like spiciness.


While your meat is cooking, slice up the pepper and onion. I only used half of my onion, but feel free to use the whole thing.


Take your meat off of the burner and drain. Be sure you don't overcook your meat.


Saute your onion and pepper in a little bit of olive oil until your onions are semi-translucent.


Halve your bell peppers and remove any seeds. You can use green bell peppers if you want, but I like the sweetness of red bell peppers.


Once your your onions and poblano pepper are sauteed, add your hamburger meat, corn, and tomatoes. Mix well.


Spoon the mixture into your peppers and top with some grated cheese. Then pop them in the oven on the middle rack and cook for about 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bell peppers are soft.


Then take them out and dig in! I just served mine with some jasmine rice, but it would've been great with a salad on the side.


Simple, quick, and easy, and my husband loved it! And we have plenty of yummy leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment